Summer is the time of year that many of us look forward to, and perhaps one of the biggest reasons behind our excitement is the hope of a getaway, no matter how long or short it is. But there’s also another reason why we should take advantage of the nice weather and travel: vacations are good for your health and can actually help you live longer.
Top 5 Vacations
Below are the top five vacations that promote longevity as listed in a recent ABC News article:
- Yoga Retreat: Yoga has become increasingly popular over the past several years, and resorts are noticing and responding to this trend by offering yoga classes. Yoga comes with many health benefits, including improving balance, respiratory function and mental performance, all of which can help keep both your body and mind young.
- Experience a New Culture: Not only is it fun to travel to a place you have never been before, but immersing yourself in a new culture actually promotes your brain health and may even lower your risk of dementia. According to the President of the Brain Health Center Dr. Paul Nussbaum, “When your brain is confronted or stimulated by something new or complex, the brain cells kind of rejoice with that.”
- Hot Springs Getaway: Two of the most common uses of hot spring waters are for religious or cultural purposes, but hot springs also come with medical and therapeutic benefits. Research has shown that hot springs can help treat rheumatic diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, along with reducing stress levels. At the very least, being in this natural environment can help you relax, which is what vacations are all about.
- Cycling Vacation: Similar to many other exercises, cycling helps keep you young, and a cycling vacation is a great way to stay active and sightsee while vacationing. Some health benefits of cycling include lowering high blood pressure, diabetes and depression levels. Along with these benefits, cycling is also a great way to explore a new culture because you can sightsee at your own pace and enjoy your new surroundings.
- A Mediterranean Trip: It can be very difficult to diet while on vacation, but experiencing a culture in which healthy foods play a key role can certainly help. Destinations in the Mediterranean are seen as ideal because in addition to the beautiful scenery, the Mediterranean diet includes fruits, vegetables, nuts, fish and legumes. It’s obviously not necessary to plan your entire trip around the culture’s foods, but it can be a great way to kickstart healthy-eating habits.
These are just some of the vacations that promote longevity, but there are many more options out there, so don’t be afraid to explore new places – it’s good for your health!
The Benefits of a Break
Vacations are the perfect time to relax, and in addition to the benefits listed above, three of the biggest health benefits of vacations include improving your sleep patterns, cardiovascular health and mental health. Even though some vacations and travel plans can be expensive, you don’t need to travel to far, exotic places to get these benefits. You are benefitting your health any time you take a well-deserved break from your busy schedule, and as the list above shows, there are many activities you can do to promote your health during the perfect getaway.